January 2020

Hamilton dad caught with pics and videos of kids being sexually abused avoids prison

A Hamilton dad caught with photos and videos showing children being sexually abused has avoided a prison sentence.

IT manager Graham Cuthbert was put under supervision for two years today (Thursday) and placed on the sex offenders’ register for the same period.

Hamilton Sheriff Court heard he was away on holiday when his home was raided by police officers acting on information from the national online child abuse prevention body.

Cuthbert, 56, admitted possessing indecent images of children and extreme pornography at the family home in Strathconon Gardens and elsewhere between October 2010 and September last year.

Vish Kathuria, prosecuting, said Cuthbert, a first offender, lived at the address with his wife, two sons and a daughter.

The sons were present when police officers arrived  in the early hours of September 4 2018.

They carried out a “systematic” search and images were recovered from computer equipment belonging to Cuthbert.

There were 85 photos and five videos of children being abused plus 29 images depicting bestiality.

The children featured were both male and female, with ages thought to range from three years to 14.

Mr Kathuria added: “The police were told Cuthbert was on holiday and not due to return until September 7.

“When officers eventually contacted him he gave a ‘No comment’ interview.”

Defence agent Matthew Berlow said Cuthbert, formerly of East Kilbride and now of Phillips Wynd, Hamilton, was assessed by social workers as being at a low risk of offending again.

Sheriff Thomas Millar imposed a number of restrictions on Cuthbert’s internet use while he is under supervision.

The sheriff also banned him from contact with children under the age of 16 without the approval of his supervising officer.