December 2019

Hampshire paedophile jailed for 23 years for abusing three children – and his partner is jailed for seven years

A convicted online child sex offender has been jailed for 23 years – and his partner for seven years – for sexually abusing two boys and an unknown male who was at most 15.

Over the course of several years Richard Townsend, 57, abused the two boys – one aged from 11 to 15 and the other from 13 to 16.

He was convicted by a jury of 14 counts including rape, indecent assault, indecency with a child and assault by penetration.

His partner Mark Metcalfe, 56, was also convicted of two sexual assaults and one indecent assault and was jailed for seven years.

Mark Metcalfe

The indictment covered the decade between 1996 to 2006.

The National Crime Agency investigation began because of Townsend’s online offending against children.

He used an online conferencing room where child abuse was played. When NCA officers seized his electronic devices they found 158 indecent images of children – 38 in the most serious category.

Townsend, an accountant, was sentenced in March last year to two years suspended after admitting encouraging the distribution of indecent images and making indecent images of children.

NCA investigators also discovered online chat records in which Townsend told someone he was sexually abusing a boy.

He was asked: ‘Do u get 2 see him a lot?’

He replied: ‘Luck, patience n planning :)’

When NCA officers searched the couple’s home in Copsewood Road, Southampton, they discovered a home-made video of Metcalfe – believed to be shot by Townsend – sexually abusing the third victim, an unknown male, who an expert witness said was 15 at most.

After Townsend was charged over his online offending, the two known victims came forward to report the non-recent abuse.

Today at Southampton Crown Court, Townsend was also put on the sex offenders register for life and Metcalfe was put on it for 10 years.

December 2019

Convicted online child sex offender and partner abused boys for years

A convicted online child sex offender and his partner have been found guilty of sexually abusing two boys and an unknown male.

In March 2018 Richard Townsend, 57, was given a two-year jail sentence suspended for two years after admitting encouraging the distribution of indecent images and making indecent images of children.

A National Crime Agency investigation proved Townsend used a child sex offenders’ online conferencing room and had 158 indecent images of children (IIOC), 38 at the worst category, on his electronic devices.

 

NCA officers launched a parallel investigation after uncovering a home-made video believed to be shot by Townsend, an accountant, of his partner Mark Metcalfe, 56, sexually abusing an unknown male who an expert witness said was 15 at most.

After Townsend was charged in the first investigation into his online offending, two victims came forward to report the non-recent abuse.

Today at Southampton Crown Court, Townsend and Metcalfe, both of Copsewood Road, Southampton, were convicted of 14 charges and three charges respectively.

The indictment covers the years 1996 to 2006. It is believed each boy was abused for several years; one from age 11 to 15, the other age 13 to 16.

After a three-week trial, Townsend was convicted of counts including rape, indecent assault, indecency with a child and assault by penetration.

Metcalfe was convicted of two sexual assaults and one indecent assault.

The pair will be sentenced on Thursday.

Also, during the initial investigation, NCA officers discovered online chat records in which Townsend told someone he was sexually abusing a boy.

When asked: “Do u get 2 see him a lot?”

He replied: “Luck, patience n planning :)”