September 2019

Sunderland sex offender who left underage victim traumatised is jailed almost 30 years after his crimes

A sex offender has been put behind bars almost 30 years after his crimes were committed.

David Wood’s victim, who suffers from PTSD, said his conviction by a jury “is part of the healing process” for her after years of struggling with the effects of what he did.

Wood, 62, who has lived abroad but is formerly of Sunderland, denied indecent assault and two offences of indecency with a child, all in relation to the same underage girl, but was found guilty after a trial in July.

At Newcastle Crown Court Wood was jailed for six years and ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for life.

Wood must abide by the terms of a sexual harm prevention order.

Judge Julie Clemitson told him: “She hated you for what you had done.”

The judge added: “Undoubtedly, your behaviour towards her had a profound and long-lasting impact upon her life.”

Judge Clemitson said Wood, who has no convictions before of after the offences and handed character references to the court, “no longer presents a substantial risk towards children”.

Sue Hirst, defending, said Wood gave up his life in Tenerife after the charges were brought against him.

Miss Hirst added: “Character references speak of other aspects of Mr Wood’s character, him having been a loyal friend to people, of hard work.

“As a result of the convictions he and his partner, who he has been with for three-and-a-half years, have had to abandon the life in Tenerife, having lived there for some time.

“Mr Wood had remained in this country and his partner has returned from the property in Tenerife, facing having to rebuild her life in this country in order to continue supporting him.”

July 2019

Man guilty of sexually assaulting school girl in the nineties

A man has been found guilty of sexually assaulting a young girl in the early nighties.

David Wood, 62, who lives in Spain but formally of Sunderland, had been accused of inappropriately touching the school girl, carrying out a sex act in front of her and asking her to perform a sex act upon him.

The victim only found the confidence to come forward and tell police about the abuse in 2017.

Woods was arrested and later charged with two counts of gross indecency and one count of inciting a child.

He denied the charges but was found guilty by a jury at Newcastle Crown Court on 15 July. He will be sentenced at the same court in September.