Former Abberley Hall teacher sent to prison following child sex abuse

ABUSER: Paul Stevens

A FORMER county teacher who abused three male victims in the 80s and 90s has been sent to prison.

Paul Stevens, 60, of Dyffryn Ardudwy, North Wales was sentenced to 19 years in jail for non-recent child sexual offences.

These were committed while he was working as a housemaster at Abberley Hall School between 1982 and 1991.

He was convicted of ten charges of indecent assault on a child and five charges of indecency with a child.

Detective inspector Mark Walters from West Mercia Police said: “Paul Stevens abused his position of trust as a teacher in the worst way possible by preying on vulnerable children.

“I would like to praise the victims who came forward and gave evidence against him. It is down to their courage and bravery that he has now been sentenced to nineteen years in prison for his despicable crimes. My hope is that today’s sentence will provide the victims with some sense of closure.

“I also hope this case reassures anyone who has been a victim of sexual abuse, either non-recent or current, that West Mercia Police is committed to providing help and support to victims and bringing offenders to justice. We will thoroughly investigate, no matter when the abuse took place. There is help and support available, so please don’t suffer in silence.”

In July, Stevens had his sentencing adjourned after admitting to the abuse, which included masturbation, using a shampoo bottle to carry out a sex act, sexual touching and oral sex.

Some of the counts reflected multiple incidents.

One of the victims died in 2010.

Guilty: Abberley Hall teacher Paul Stevens admits child abuse

A former teacher admitted sexually abusing three young boys as more potential victims came forward.

Paul Stevens, former housemaster at Abberley Hall School, near Worcester, changed many of his pleas to guilty just a day after his trial began at Worcester Crown Court.

The jury had already watched video interviews from the first victim, now an adult, about the abuse he suffered in the early 1980s.

He was due to give evidence directly before the defendant’s change of heart.

Following discussions between barristers, Stevens was brought back to court to face the 29 counts which ran between January 1, 1983 and March 22, 1991.

He admitted five counts of indecency with a child and 10 indecent assaults against boys.

The abuse included masturbation, using a shampoo bottle to carry out a sex act, sexual touching and oral sex. Some of the counts reflected multiple incidents.

One of the victims died in 2010.

After Stevens admitted the offences, judge Andrew Lockhart QC directed that the jury return unanimous guilty verdicts on those counts.

The jury was discharged from returning verdicts on the remaining 14 counts which will lie on file.

The judge adjourned the case so victim personal statements and a pre-sentence report could be prepared which he said ‘will go to the issue of dangerousness.’

Judge Lockhart said: “It seems other men in the interim have come forward and have complained about conduct towards them.”

The judge said he did not want to sentence Stevens ‘piecemeal’ but for the ‘overall picture’, including for any further charges the Crown may bring.

Stevens will appear again before judge Lockhart wherever he is sitting on July 5.