April 2019

Pervert abused young boys after plying them with drink and cigarettes

Survivors of sexual abuse have told of their struggle with traumatic memories as their childhood tormentor begins a long prison sentence

David Hutchinson, 66, finally faced justice after he molested and threatened the two youngsters more than 20 years ago.

He was in his 30s and 40s when he repeatedly touched the underage boys after grooming them with alcohol and cigarettes.

He threatened the boys, one with violence, one with a knife on a later occasion, Teesside Crown Court heard on Monday.

Prosecutor Richard Bennett read powerful statements made by both of the sexual abuse survivors as adults.

One of the men, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said: “This had a massive effect on my life even to this day.

“What this man had done no words can really explain.

“He took away my childhood and early adulthood.

“I’ve lived in constant fear throughout my life he would carry out the threats he used to make.”

He said he drank to block out the abuse, alcoholism put an end to his career but was now free of drugs after a long struggle.

He told how he “lost everything”, including relationships, had difficulties with sexual relationships and found it hard to trust people, especially men.

He developed psychosis and heard the voice of an abuser calling him names and telling him to harm himself and others.

‘Bad memories continue to eat away at you’

The other man said he felt trapped, unable to have a relationship with a woman and with no one to turn to.

He blamed himself, did not make real friends and kept his private life hidden.

He tried to bury his past when he met a woman and started living a happier life.

“But memories never disappear, and bad memories continue to eat away at you,” he said.

“To this day I feel I messed my life up. I feel damaged mentally.

“I’m glad this came to light. I’ve had so much help and support.

“I’m doing the best I can with my life. I still have a way to go to be truly happy.”

At first Hutchinson denied the sexual activity and claimed he was “shocked and upset” by the allegations.

“He said he didn’t know why either of the two boys were saying this and they must have mental issues,” added Mr Bennett.

Hutchinson, of Bellerby Road, Hardwick, Stockton, later admitted six charges of indecent assault.

Judge Deborah Sherwin told Hutchinson he abused the boys when they were “not able to resist”.

He said the abuser’s actions caused severe psychological harm: “The effect of this sort of offending does run deep.”

Hutchinson was jailed for six years.

He was given an indefinite restraining order banning him from communicating with the two victims or going with 100m of them or their homes.

He also received a sexual harm prevention order and will be on the sex offenders’ register, both indefinitely.