October 2018: Now living in Maes Pennant, Mostyn

January 2005

Father jailed for hammer attack on paedophile

A worried father who attacked a convicted paedophile with a hammer was yesterday jailed for three-and-a-half years.

Malcolm Taylor followed sex offender Ray Longstaffe in his car along a country road before flashing him to pull over into a layby.

Taylor, 54, confronted Longstaffe and rained up to a dozen blows on his head, shoulders and arms shouting, “I’m going to kill you.”

Longstaffe was left bleeding badly in the layby near Brecon as Taylor sped away from the scene.

A passing motorist called the emergency services and Longstaffe, 48, was rushed to hospital with cuts and bruises and a fractured skull.

Tanker-driver Taylor later denied the attack but was caught by forensic evidence which found traces of Longstaffe’s blood on one of his trainers.

Prosecutor Andrew Jones told Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court, “Mr Longstaffe thought he was being flashed to pull over by a police car.

“After a short conversation the situation exploded with the defendant striking him over the head with a lump hammer.

“Mr Longstaffe fell to the floor and the attack continued with 10 to 12 blows landing on him and the defendant saying ‘I’m going to kill you’.”

Longstaffe, who had served five months for a sex attack on a 10-year-old girl, had moved into a caravan near Taylor on the Trecco Bay park at Porthcawl.

Taylor’s 17-year-old daughter Vicky became friendly with Long-staffe’s sons and was given a key to their caravan, the court was told.

Seven days before the attack she was taken to hospital after being found semi-conscious in Longstaffe’s caravan.

Taylor’s lawyer John Ryan told the court that there were rumours around the caravan park about Longstaffe’s court appearance.

But Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court heard that Vicky had suffered a diabetic attack because she had not eaten or had a drink for some time.

Mr Ryan said, “People knew that Longstaffe had been in prison but did not know what for.

“Because of the rumours which went round the caravan park my client decided to follow Mr Longstaffe to see where he was living.

“When he saw Mr Longstaffe he visualised his daughter being taken to hospital and he snapped.”

Taylor admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent on October 19.

Judge Gerald Price told Taylor, whose permanent home is his Trecco Bay caravan, “It is a mercy Mr Longstaffe wasn’t killed or caused permanent injury.

“No court can sanction a criminal attack even with the motives you thought you had, otherwise it would cause chaos in the fabric society.”