October 2018

Jail for paedophile who raped Derbyshire boxer when he was just 10

A man who raped Derbyshire boxer Callum Hancock when he was 10 years old has been jailed for more than six years for a string of sex offences.

Jason Lee Lyttle, 31, pleaded guilty to buggery and two counts of indecent assault committed between January and July 2001.

Lyttle was sentenced at Derby Crown Court on Friday, October 26, to six years and three months behind bars, with an extended licence period of one year.

Earlier this year, Mr Hancock, now 27, waived his anonymity to publicly reveal details of the attack in a bid to help other survivors of sexual abuse.

Mr Hancock, who works as a scaffolder alongside his boxing career, spoke of the ordeal to Derbyshire Times journalist Bob Westerdale, describing how Lyttle had bullied him for much of his young life before the terrifying attack took place.

He said: “I was about 10 years old. I was building a den in the Birkhill area of Eckington and he rocked up, pretending he was going to help me.

“He was five years older than me and had tormented me for years. He’d locked me in a garage, and beaten me up numerous times.

“Once, he and another boy stripped off my clothes and threw me in freezing water in the dip of a BMX track.

“They whipped me with sticks. He had birds of prey and bit the head off a chick. That’s what he was like. He was terrifying.

“I was wary and said he didn’t have to help me build the den, but he insisted. Then he raped me.”

After the attack, Lyttle, of Lightwood Road, Marsh Lane, near Eckington, issued Mr Hancock with a warning.

Mr Hancock said: “He told me: ‘Everybody does this when you get older. This is what you do at big school. It’s like smoking. If you tell your parents you’ll be in a lot of trouble.”

For years, Mr Hancock was haunted by the memory of the horrific attack and was driven to the brink of suicide.

Eventually, after confronting his assailant in a chance encounter, he notified the police of the historic abuse.

Mr Hancock said: “After going to the police, I’ve gone from strength to strength.

“I’ve opened up, revealed the truth and no longer living a lie. I’m a different person.”

Callum returned to competitive boxing in September after a three-year absence.

He is now working with Duncan Craig of Survivors Manchester, a voluntary organisation for male survivors of sexual abuse.

In Derbyshire, male victims of abuse can ring a helpline on 08000 198668 or contact SV2, an organisation supporting victims of sexual violence, via http://www.sv2.org.uk or 01773 746115.

Alternatively, contact the CORE victim support service on 0800 6126505 or http://www.core-derbyshire.com.

September 2018

Man reveals he was raped as a 10 year old boy in Sheffield

Boxer Callum has faced some tough fighters but his hardest battle was outside the ring… bringing a bully who raped him to justice.

For 17 years, Callum was haunted by the memory of evil Jason Lyttle subjecting him to a terrifying attack when he was just 10.

Lyttle lived close by and repeatedly preyed on helpless Callum. The confused lad endured years of self-loathing, ended up in jail and was driven to the brink of suicide.

But the worst of the nightmare is over after Callum, 27, finally confronted his attacker and this month saw justice as Lyttle, 31, admitted his guilt in court.

Jason Lee Lyttle, aged 31, of Lightwood Road, Marsh Lane, Sheffield, pleaded guilty to buggery and two counts of indecent assault committed between January-July 2001. He is in jail awaiting sentence.

For Callum, years of pain, anger and frustration were replaced by a feeling of sheer relief.

He said: “I called all my family and girlfriend into the living room and broke the news. We all jumped up and down, sobbing and hugging.

“It had taken 17 years but it was finally over. The weight I had been carrying on my shoulders was gone. I could start living again.”

Callum has bravely waived anonymity in the hope that other victims of abuse will speak out rather than bottle up their pain.

His ordeal started back in his home city of Sheffield in 2001 – first with beatings, then the rape and subsequent sexual assaults.

Callum said: “For as long as I remember, Jason, who lived at the back of my house, bullied me. He’d beat me up, whip me with sticks and even locked me in a garage.”

Of the rape, he added grimly: “Jason smirked and said ‘This is what happens when you go to big school… it’s a bit like smoking – everyone does it’.

“I tried to scream for help but Jason put his hand over my mouth. We were only metres from my back garden and I prayed my younger brother would come and find me or my mum would call me in for dinner.

“But no one came and I had to endure the excruciatingly painful attack that would shape my life for the next 17 years.

“After, I desperately tried to wipe away my tears, not wanting the further humiliation of Jason seeing me sob.

“But he just laughed and said: ‘What are you crying for? Stop being a f*ggot. It’s what you do when you are older’.

“I’d never been as scared in my life. I ran home and although my mum was there I knew I couldn’t tell her. I was confused and frightened and believed what Jason had said and that this is what everybody did.”

Lyttle sexually assaulted and beat Callum on several other occasions before a house move brought some respite.

At 14, he began to realise the significance of what Lyttle subjected him to and took up boxing to vent his frustration.

Callum went on: “My fears turned to rage and anger. I hated Jason. I was confused, I had sleepless nights, hated being alone and even questioned whether I was gay.”

Resentment continued to fester after school and into his adult life. Things came to a head in March 2015, a week after Callum lost a close friend to suicide.