October 2018

Former Wrexham man jailed for 10 years after admitting child rape

A former Wrexham man has been jailed for 10 years after he admitted child rape.

Simon Telford, 36, also had an additional 12 months licence imposed as an offender of particular concern, which formally makes it an 11 year sentence.

A court heard how Telford sought to justify what he had done and claimed it was not fair that he was being prosecuted but the judge told him he was not the victim.

He added Telford’s views were as perverse as they were worrying and he was rightly before the court.

Telford was ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for life.

An indefinite sexual harm prevention order was also made at the Mold Crown Court hearing.

Telford admitted at an earlier hearing rape, sexual touching and inciting a girl aged under 13 to indulge in sexual acts.

He had offered her money before he raped her and made threats that he would also have sex with a younger girl.

Telford made other threats to try to persuade her not to report what he was doing.

On arrest Telford said he was “not like that” and could not understand why such allegations were being made.

But the judge said analyses of his mobile phone and laptop exposed his deviant sexual interest by disgusting search terms as he searched for serious child abuse material.

Judge Parry told Telford he appeared to blame his consumption of alcohol which somehow justified his actions.

He claimed it was not fair that he was being brought before the court and he blamed others, which was as perverse as it was worrying.

“You are not the victim,” said Judge Parry.

“You are not being persecuted.

“You are rightly before the court for dreadful offences.”

He added aggravating procedures including the age of the child which put it at the top of the sentencing bracket.

But Judge Parry said Telford’s guilty pleas were brave and he had no similar previous convictions.

Barrister Jo Maxwell, prosecuting, said the victim disclosed to a friend’s mother what was going on and the police were alerted.

The victim said she was truly terrified of him and feared he would do the same thing to another child.

Arrested in April, Telford said he had not done anything.

He told officers: “This is making me suicidal.

“I love kids.”

But an examination of his mobile phone and laptop showed search terms he had used to look for child sex abuse.

Re-interviewed in July he made no comment and in August he admitted eight charges. .

Henry Hills, defending, said his client had pleaded guilty at an early stage which had saved a vulnerable girl from giving evidence at trial.

He had a troubled history with mental health problems – schizophrenia and depression for which he received medication.

Judge Niclas Parry warned Telford it would be up to the parole board to decide if he could be released at the half way point, provided he could be safely managed in the community.