August 2005

Mum’s fury as sex offender goes free

A mother whose 10-year-old son was sexually assaulted by a woman of 23 yesterday hit out after the paedophile escaped a jail sentence.

Tammy Fuller was given a three-year community rehabilitation order and placed on the sex offenders’ register for five years after she was convicted of indecent assault.

But the mother, who cannot be named for legal reasons, blasted Judge David Rennie for allowing Fuller to go free.

She said: “If she was a man, it would have been totally different.

“People just cannot believe there are women paedophiles. But it does happen.

“The judge said she was vulnerable, but wasn’t my son vulnerable when he was lying in his bed and she got in? She stole his innocence.”

She added: “He wanted to go to the police to make sure that what she did to him could not happen again.

“He was anxious about the court case and worried the jury would not believe him.

“When I asked him why, he said, ‘Because she is an adult and I am only a child’.

“But I kept telling him he had done the right thing.

“He just wanted to know she would not do it again.

“He said he wanted her to go to a hospital where they could help her get better. But look what has happened.”

She added: “Her life is no different to how it was before she was convicted, except that she has to go to counselling once a week. My son is convinced she will come back again. It is disgusting.”

Fuller, who has since moved to Margate in Kent with her partner, was ordered by Judge David Rennie at Hove crown court not to have any contact with children under the age of 16.

Fuller indecently assaulted her victim during a four-month period while his mother was at work.

As the youngster, who is now 13, became increasingly withdrawn, his mum assumed he was upset because his natural father, who did not live with the family, was dying.

Fuller had warned the boy not to tell anyone and threatened that she would “get him back” if he did.

The mother, who has now remarried, said: “He woke up with her on top of him and when he asked her to stop, she said, ‘Shush, don’t scream’.

“It would always happen on the days when I was at work.”

The boy finally broke his silence in 2003.

His mother added: “He said, ‘I’m sorry for making you cry, mum’ and that he wanted to tell the truth so that she would not hurt anyone again.”