Jailed sex offender failed to notify change of address

A dangerous paedophile who has now breached his orders six times has failed to inform a woman he moved in with of his previous conviction of carrying out sickening and repeated sex attacks on a 3 year old

Stephen John Robins also failed to notify police that he had left his former accommodation, in a men’s hostel, in breach of the notification requirements as a sex offender.

Durham Crown Court was told that during the six days he lived with the woman, in the Stockton area, her younger siblings, who lived nearby, would visit, putting Robins, 21, in breach of the terms of a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO), imposed following his conviction in 2015.

Phillip Morley, prosecuting, said Robins was made subject of a five-year SHPO and mandatory notification requirements as to where he is living, upon conviction for causing or inciting a girl under the age of 13 to engage in sexual activity with penetration.

Robins semen was also found on the victims underwear.

A consultant paediatrician in that case examined the toddler and confirmed there was internal trauma, including bruising and reddening. 

the grandmother committed suicide as a result of feeling guilt that she was not able to protect her grand-daughter from being sexually abused.

The victim said in interview that Robins had abused her multiple times.

Robins has not shown any remorse for his actions during or after the offences

The terms of that order included a prohibition on him having unsupervised contact with any child.

Mr Morley said Robins’ was registered as living at the Changing Lives hostel, at Plawsworth, near Chester-le-Street, but on July 26 it was discovered he had handed in his room key earlier that day.

A Changing Lives worker told police Robins said he was moving in with a male friend in Stockton and no children would be present at that address.

“But, it emerged that he was with a female that he met in an online dating site, on July 25, and they began a relationship thereafter.

“He told her he had not been a good person previously as he had been to prison for assault, but he didn’t disclose the true nature of his convictions.”

Mr Morley said during the following week the woman’s 12 and six-year-old siblings visited more than once, one staying overnight.

Police became aware of his whereabouts and arrested him at that address on July 31, and when interviewed he gave no reply to questions.

He admitted failing to comply with sex offender registration requirements and the terms of a SHPO.

Mr Morley said Robins has five previous convictions for breaching notification requirements.

Jailing him for two years, Judge Christopher Prince extended the SHPO by five years and told Robins he had shown, “a contempt” of the efforts of the court and statutory services to keep him away from young people.

June 2018: Now living in Pallister Park in Middlesbrough

May 2017: Arrested again for breaching sex offender prevention order

Update: Now living in Whitley Bay

May 2015

Teenager spared jail after sickening sex attacks on toddler

99

A teenager has walked free from court despite admitting sickening sex attacks on a toddler.

Stephen John Robins (17) was spared juvenile detention by a district judge as he feared he would be vulnerable to abuse in custody.

The victim was just three years old when Robins of Jarrow, South Tyneside, sexually assaulted her last year.

Sunderland Magistrates’ Court heard that the assault came to light after the toddler told her mother what had happened.

The case had previously been sent to Newcastle Crown Court but was remitted back to the youth court for sentencing.

Robins (who is 18 in December) had pleaded guilty to causing or inciting a girl under the age of 13 to engage in sexual activity with penetration.

Robins semen was also found on the victims underwear.

Paul Anderson, prosecuting, said that the teenager’s crime had had a devastating effect on their family.

A consultant paediatrician examined the girl and confirmed there was internal trauma, including bruising and reddening. 

The young victim remains emotionally disturbed following the sexual assault. She is waking repeatedly every night fearful of being attacked again. 

The combination of the sexual abuse plus the bereavement the child has sustained following the suicide of her grandmother has escalated her emotional distress.

The court heard that the grandmother has since committed suicide as a result of feeling guilt that she was not able to protect her grand-daughter from being sexually abused.

The victim said in interview that Robins had abused her multiple times.

The court was told that Robins has shown no remorse for his actions during or after the offences

District judge Roger Elsey told Robins: “This was a vile offence, and it has two aggravating factors.

“The first and most obvious is the disparity between your age and the age of your victim. She was a child that you should have been protecting rather than abusing.

“The second is the devastating effect this has had on your victim and her mother. She says the allegations have completely ruined her life.”

The judge said the impact of the offences on the whole family would be lifelong.

He added: “Your actions have created a number of victims, and this offence is so serious it amply justifies an immediate custodial sentence, and I don’t think a detention and training order could be argued with.

“The only reason I am not imposing an immediate custodial sentence is that the intensive therapeutic work which is necessary to prevent you harming further victims would not carried out. It has to be carried out in the community.

“I am very confident that the mother of your victim will think the sentence I impose is hugely inadequate, but I impose it to prevent further victims from harm from you.”

The court heard that the teenager has no previous convictions apart from cautions.

The teenager was given a 12-month referral order.

He will be supervised for 15 hours a week for the first month, then 10 hours a week the month after.

The judge added: “You will enter into work to address your sexual offending. You will have to admit to yourself what you did because if you don’t, the work would be unsuccessful and the risk of re-offending would remain high.”

The judge also made a sexual harm prevention order for three years, barring the teenager:

  • Not to engage in any work, recreation or activity in which children aged under 16-years-old are likely to be involved in.

  • From having contact with anyone under the age of 16 unless a responsible adult aware of his conviction is present.

  • Not without reasonable cause, to enter or remain in any building, tent, caravan, vehicle or similar space knowing a child will be present, without letting a suitable adult knowing the history of sexual offences

  • Not to approach or attempt to communicate directly or indirectly by any means whatsoever: Radio, telephone, computer, text message, letter, email or otherwise with any child aged under 16-years-old.

  • Not to enter Hebburn Lakes primary school 

  • He will also have to notify police of any changes to his address.

Judge Elsey added: “If you breach any of these conditions, you will go into custody because that is the only alternative.