A SUPPLY teacher convicted of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old pupil went on to marry her and father her children, it has been revealed.
William Gibson says he is now “frightened” for his safety after it was revealed he continued teaching in South Tyneside – with the permission of the Government – despite the 1980 conviction.
And the 59-year-old, who lived in South Avenue, South Shields, at the time of his sex conviction, insisted he is not a threat to children and wants to continue teaching.
He said: “I am not a paedophile. I am frightened and I just want the chance to put my side of the story.”
It was discovered last week that Gibson, who also has convictions for dishonesty and theft, taught at St Joseph’s RC and Hebburn Comprehensive as well as at a school in County Durham, after being given permission from Education Secretary Ruth Kelly because he wasn’t on ‘List 99’ – the register of people banned from working with children.
The shocking revelation led to a storm of controversy surrounding Miss Kelly and her department which provoked a review of the procedures to allow people to teach in schools, a statement on which will be issued on Thursday.
News of the scandal reached Gibson’s new school in Bournemouth and he was sacked at the weekend, forcing him to speak publicly when he revealed that his teenage victim eventually became his wife and mother to his three children.
He said: “It was a genuine relationship and nothing happened against her will.
“This has been hovering over me for years but I love teaching.
” I want to get another job in teaching and I am not a person to give up.”
He added: “I am not a risk to children. I want people to know that.
“I know what I did was wrong back in 1980 and I regret my actions but it’s not as black-and-white as everyone thinks.
“I hope people will come to the conclusion that I have not abused anyone.”
It’s understood the couple are no longer together.