January 2003

‘Hounded’ sex attack man back in prison

A SEX offender who indecently assaulted a girl after being released from prison, is back behind bars.

Jobless Jeffrey William Scott admitted an assault on a 15-year-old girl, which took place shortly after he was released from a previous three-year sentence for indecent assault.

Lawyers for Scott, 45, said his actions may have been brought about by deep-rooted paranoia, stemming from the persecution that he had suffered at the hands of neighbours who found out about his history of abusing under-age girls.

Prosecuting, Anthony Hawkes told Newcastle Crown Court that the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was assaulted by Scott at a house in Boldon Colliery, South Tyneside, on June 2 last year.

The next morning, the girl reported the attack.

Scott was arrested, but gave no replies when questioned by police. He was charged with indecent assault.

The court heard how Scott, of Salem Street, Jarrow, had served a three-year sentence for similar offences on two young girls aged ten.

Jamie Hill, in mitigation, said: “He was suffering a real sense of persecution. Wherever he was relocated, people in the locality became aware that he was a sex offender and he was targeted immediately.

“He accepts that what he has is a sickness which needs treatment, but believes it was augmented by his being hounded.”

Scott kept his head bowed throughout the hearing, and spoke only to confirm his name.

Judge Michael Cartlidge sentenced Scott, who is already on a sex offenders’ register, to three years imprisonment and a further four years’ supervision.

He will also serve an unexpired portion of his previous prison term of eight months, and must notify police of any change of address in the future.