December 2009

Girl rape sex pest had done it before

A DANGEROUS illegal immigrant who raped and sexually assaulted a young girl over a three-year period had a previous conviction for rape in his home country.

Paedophile Courtney Gordon came to the UK from Jamaica in 2006 to look after a sick relative.

Derby Crown Court heard it was soon after this time that he started abusing his victim, who was aged seven at the time.

The abuse continued until the girl, who cannot be named, was 10 and was not discovered until she confided in a friend who made her tell her parents.

The court also heard that Gordon had been convicted of raping a 15-year-old girl in Jamaica in 1996.

Gordon, 40, admitted 10 counts of sexual abuse and was locked up indefinitely after Judge John Burgess deemed him a danger to the public.

Avik Mukherjee, prosecuting, said Gordon would abuse his latest victim when they were alone in a house together, and even when others were present elsewhere in the property.

When interviewed, the victim told police that Gordon had been “doing stuff to her”.

Mr Mukherjee said: “She said it had happened lots of times and Gordon had told her not to tell anyone as there ‘was nothing wrong with it’.

“Earlier this year she started sharing secrets with her friends who made her tell her mother.”

Gordon, of Osmaston Road, was arrested on June 12.

Mr Mukherjee said the girl’s family felt a sense of guilt about having introduced their daughter to Gordon.

Gordon pleaded guilty to one charge of raping a child under the age of 13; three counts of sexual assault with a child under 13 by touching; three counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and three counts of assaulting a child under 13 by penetration.

Judge Burgess imposed an indeterminate sentence for public protection, which means Gordon will not be released until it is deemed that he is no longer a threat to the public.

He will serve a minimum of five years and nine months.

He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register and banned from working or living with children and faces deportation.

Sonal Ahya, in mitigation, said Gordon had been “open and candid” about what he had done and had expressed a sense of “remorse and regret”.

After the case, Detective Constable Andy Wright, welcomed the sentence. He said: “I think it is what we could of expected in the circumstances – he is obviously a dangerous man.

“These types of investigations are always difficult. The family are obviously very distressed by what has happened. I just hope they can get past it.”

A spokesman for the UK Border Agency said Gordon’s initial visa application was refused but an independent court granted his appeal, allowing him to come into the country. This had since expired.

The spokesman said visa applicants were now required to provide fingerprints that were checked for convictions.

“Already we have refused thousands of applications,” he said.

“Where we believe a person poses a risk to the public, or where we have doubts that a person will comply with the terms of their visa, we will not hesitate to refuse their application.”